The House Finch Family Celebrates Mother’s Day Early This Year

Unknown Thursday, April 22, 2010
Hi Everyone,

I’m sure you’ve all been waiting anxiously to hear about our house guests. We had a really busy weekend. Saturday, I started watching the webcam around 11:00 a.m. and noticed that the momma House Finch kept putting her head down into the nest. At 11:22, I saw why; the first baby was born. After getting the chick out of the egg, the mother carried the egg shell off and notified the proud papa of their first born. Momma and papa returned to the nest and began the feeding process. The papa feeds the momma and the momma feeds the chick. While the momma tends to the chick, papa flies off to find more food and they start the whole process over again.

The second baby arrived sometime before 1:48 p.m. I’m not sure how I missed it but when I looked at the webcam there it was with the shell removed. No more babies were born but a whole lot of action with momma moving things around and feeding the chicks.

When I got up on Sunday and looked at the webcam (8:09 a.m.), I was so surprised to see all five babies. Momma had an early morning and a very busy one at that! Momma and papa are very very busy with 5 mouths to feed! I can’t believe I’m watching the whole thing unfold. It truly is amazing.

When I went home today, I was able to see the papa feeding the chicks while the momma was off getting some much needed alone time!!

I’ve attached photos of the events and if anyone is interested, I uploaded some videos onto YouTube that you can watch. If you go to YouTube and search
http://www.youtube.com/user/sagerk0722, you should be able to view different videos.

Take care. Will send updated photos as they become available.
Kim


Thank you for the continued updates! I think that baby fuzz is unbelievably cute. The cats loved the (beep, cheep) videos.

I can’t wait to hear from you again,
Sarah
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment