Have You Seen Any Hummingbirds?

Unknown Tuesday, April 6, 2010
Yikes, did I blink? I checked hummingbirds.net this morning to discover people are reporting that the Ruby-throated Hummingbird is now in mid-Michigan!

Dust off your feeders and put them out ASAP!

Ooh, ooh! I was just looking out the window and saw a Yellow-bellied Sapsucker. They're not common in mid-Michigan and I'm sure it's on its way up north for nesting.

I'm mentioning this in the same post as the hummingbirds because hummingbirds follow the sapsuckers during migration.

The Yellow-bellied Sapsucker Sphyrapicus varius drills parallel "wells" in the bark of trees and laps up the sap that oozes out from the tree. Hummingbirds, waxwings, and warblers take advantage of these predrilled sweet sap sources for a quick bite while traveling.

I scared him with the camera but I see he just came back. Now Eli (my cat) is on my lap and my camera seems to be acting funny. I'll post a stock photo of the sapsucker, but know they're in the area and keep your eyes open for new birds every day. Keep your ears open too. The sapsucker is known for its irregular drumming rhythm. People describe it like a Morse code rhythm.
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment