Mystery bird: Orange-Crowned Warbler?

Unknown Saturday, February 13, 2010
I'm wondering how many emails to you start with some variation of "Sorry for the poor quality of the picture..." 

So, sorry for the poor picture. I've been trying to get a photo of this one for some time, but it's very skittish. This was a rare convergence of "bird" & "camera already in hand." I had to tilt far to one side, with my right foot hooked around the leg of an end table to keep my balance, just to get a clear view. I managed this one shot before the bird skittered away.

I often see it when the goldfinches are around, but it appears different to me. The shape of the head seems more delicate, and the color is more evenly spread around the body.

Maybe a warbler of some sort? Maybe a pine siskin? Maybe a goldfinch and I'm just imagining things? Joy K. North Central Texas

I suspect that it is an Orange-crowned Warbler. I hope that’s right because I’m patting myself on the back for getting better at naming these mystery birds from across the country. This warbler is not normally seen in mid-Michigan (where our Wild Birds Unlimited - East Lansing store is located).

The
Orange-crowned Warbler (Vermivora celata) is a small warbler distinguished by having no distinguishing markings. This songbird has olive-grey upperparts, yellowish underparts with faint streaking and a thin pointed bill. An orange patch on the crown is usually concealed except during courtship or when alarmed. They also have a faint line over their eyes and a faint broken eye ring. Females and immature birds are duller in color than males.

Orange-crowned Warblers don't migrate as far south in the fall as most warblers, with many staying in the southern United States. They are bug eaters and will also feed on tree sap, berries, and fruit. In the winter, as you’ve discovered, they can approach nectar, seed, or suet feeders for a quick bite. They are usually solitary birds, but after nesting season they may be found mixed in with flocks of chickadees, goldfinch, vireos, or other bird groups.

For more pictures and information you can look up Orange-crowned Warbler on the Migratory Bird Center Website at:
http://bit.ly/95QNgI

Thank you very much for your photo and question. I hope everyone is participating in the
Great Backyard Bird Count (GBBC).
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment