Just Thought I'd Share Some of the Fun We Have in Our Yard.

Unknown Thursday, February 4, 2010
When I was in WBU on Saturday, I mentioned we had seen a female Red-bellied Woodpecker. The picture attached is one I took of it in December.

A couple of years ago, I couldn't figure out why the bird seed wasn't being eaten during the winter. It seemed like winter would be an important time for them to visit feeders. I didn't understand where all the birds were and thought maybe I was doing something wrong.


Well, turns out the bird seed doesn't get eaten as fast in the winter in our yard because we have both juvenile and mature Cooper's and Sharp-shinned Hawks hanging around. Below is a picture I took in December of one of this year's juvenile hawks. (I believe there are two juveniles this year.)

When we returned from shopping on Saturday, an adult Cooper's Hawk was sitting on the branch that is visible behind the feeder in the picture with the Red-bellied Woodpecker. The birds have a tendency to scatter when the hawks are hanging out ;-) I like to think it was probably one of the juveniles I've seen in past winters.

The last picture shows how oblivious--or unconcerned--a squirrel can be. If you look you directly above and slightly to the left of the feeder with the black squirrel (in the area where there is a break in branches), a young hawk is perched on the branch. Its white breast is contrasted against the pine tree. It's the same one from above, he/she just decided to make a slight change of scenery.

Just thought I'd share some of the fun we have in our yard.

Amy
East Lansing


Great shots, especially the cat's-eye-view! Thank you for letting me use your email on our blog for Photo Friday.

Glad you liked the pictures.
BTW: The cat is Zoey. Our "youngest" and self-proclaimed princess.
Amy
.
You can click on any of the pictures to enlarge the view.
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment