Disappearance of usual birds at backyard feeder

Unknown Sunday, September 1, 2013
I live in South Carolina and have for the past 6 years. I have always had several bird feeders in my backyard and always had many birds to watch and enjoy. This year I have had the usual birds ( cardinals, chickadees finches thrashers, Bluebirds redheaded woodpeckers, sparrows.

I also have a Hummingbird feeder which is very active. All of a sudden, no birds. I am usig the same birdseed, putting out water etc. We can't figure out what could possibly be wrong, At the store where I buy my birdseed I talked to another couple who were also buying birdseed and asked them if they had noticed a decease in the number of birds at their feeders and they said yes and they blamed it on hawks in their area. I have not noticed hawks in my area. I am wodering if you might have an explanation for me. We feel deserted and miss our feathered
 
Right now birds all over the world are migrating or establishing winter grounds. Young birds like chickadees and titmice find new territories to hook up with other young birds at the end of summer and join local adults to form winter flocks.

During this transition time your feeder may be overwhelmed with birds one week and empty the next week. With all the natural seed and fruit around, birds may take note of your feeders but look for other sources just in case. Birds don’t depend on feeders to survive which is good because some people aren’t dependable. They’ll probably return to your feeders when there is bad weather and it is less efficient to forage.
.
You can also go through a little check list to eliminate the most obvious reasons for fewer birds at the feeders.

1. Make sure your seed is fresh. One way to do this is to pinch the seed on a piece of paper and see if any oil comes out. On cold days where every meal counts, if your seed has dried out your feeder will be skipped. (Wild Birds Unlimited receives a fresh load of seed each week).

2. Clean your feeders at least once a month. Make sure there is no mold in the bottom of your feeder. This can be dangerous to the birds. To prevent mold in bad weather use Feeder Fresh™ (a silica grit that absorbs water and humidity, is safe for birds, and made from non-toxic absorbent sand). You can also shelter your feeder from the elements by using something like WBU Weather Guard.
3. Look for predators. Hawksor catscan deter birds from feeding in your area for a short time.

4. Look at the weather. During years where there are more seeds, fruits, nuts and berries produced naturally you'll have less birds than during years where there are droughts and poor crops.

5. Check with local birding groups. You may not be the only one reporting fewer birds. Diseases, viruses, land development, natural disasters may also factor into the drop in bird populations.

I can only imaging the eeriness of having no birds. Where I live in mid-Michigan there is always a constant mix of changing birds. When I walk out to fill the feeders in the morning I hear the Whoosh of birds flying from the trees. Then as I fill the feeders they slowly filter down like falling leaves and hassle me to move quicker. I love it. I wish you and your birds well.

Related Articles:
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment