Where are the Bluebirds?

Unknown Monday, August 5, 2013
I have a family of bluebirds that nest here (last two summers). I feed them daily. I ASSUME it’s the same family as last year since the male practically lets me feed him by hand. I can get with in 2 feet of him.

They had a successful nest this year, 4 babies made it! I saw all 6 birds up until 2 weeks ago. They seem to have just disappeared. I still put the meal worms out for them, but after 4 days, I stopped, there were like 20 worms just sitting in the feeder waiting to be eaten.

Do you know if they go somewhere in the late summer and fall? I believe this is when I stopped seeing them last year. Stephanie


A pair of Eastern Bluebirds in Michigan, USA.Image via WikipediaThat’s a good question. It’s very normal for Eastern Bluebirds to gather together in large flocks starting in August until September in search of food. After nesting season has ended, they usually form large nomadic groups that roost at night in the woods.
.
Their diet changes from mostly worms and insects to fruit, nuts and berries. They can eat crab apples, Mountain Ash tree berries, and sometimes look under feeders for nuts. They also appreciate open water in the winter. If you have a pond or heated birdbath they may show up in large numbers for afternoon drinks.

We often think of migration as birds travelling thousands of miles south to winter in a tropical climate. That’s true for some birds even some bluebirds. The bluebirds that nested in Canada may skip over Michigan to winter in the southern states, but in southern and mid-Michigan, many bluebirds are year-round residents. Scientists think it’s due to genetics whether they want to fly south or winter over. Some birds are compelled to move south and others are not. They all gather in huge family groups in the fall however to increase their survival through the winter.

For more information on Eastern Bluebirds flocking and everything else bluebird, visit http://www.sialis.org/flocks.htm. It’s a great website that can answer all your bluebird questions.
.
We have a pond, but it freezes… I am getting a birdbath TODAY! Lol. I miss my birds….. Thank you so much.
Enhanced by Zemanta


Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment