Wild Turkey grazing under feeders

Unknown Friday, March 30, 2012
Good morning! I thought I'd share this photo with you. I live in downtown Lansing, and imagine my surprise when I came back from my weekly Sunday morning coffee run to find a turkey wandering in front of the apartment buildings. By the time I got into my apartment, she was happily grazing at my feeders. It definitely gave me a much-needed morning chuckle. =) Have a great day! - Heather

Love it! More and more turkeys are learning to live near humans as long as there is a small woodlot or grassy field nearby.

It’s a little unusual to see a single female so early in the spring. They tend to stay in their winter flocks until April in our area. Winter flocks are divided into male and female (and her young).

Their breeding season is in March and April normally. Males may be seen courting in groups, gobbling, spreading their tail feathers and strutting. The dominant male will mate with several females in the flock.

Then females leave the group after mating to nest alone. Their nest is just a shallow depression scratched out in the ground covered by vines. A hen will lay a clutch of 10-14 eggs, usually one per day, that hatch after 28 days of incubation by the female alone.

Perhaps next month you will send me a photo of a hen and her poults!?

I was definitely shocked to see her! I'm not sure if she'd be willing to nest around my feeders, though, since there are several stray cats in the neighborhood. However, I will definitely let you know if I see a nest or poults around. I do have a spot nearby that would probably work for a nest if not for the threat of predators.

There was also a turkey that stationed itself outside the Michigan State Police post in Brighton. More on that story at: http://www.annarbor.com/news/fowl-play-state-police-troopers-in-brighton-being-watched-by-turkey/
Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment