How to Attract Mourning Doves

Unknown Monday, July 12, 2010
I have a Morning Dove that stops by my yard for a drink from my bird bath every evening of every other day when ever he or she is in the area. I would love to entice it to stop in and stay around a little longer... What must I do to encourage it to visit and stay awhile.

The Mourning Dove's large size and gentle "coo-ah, coo, coo, coo" vocalization makes it one of the most recognizable birds in the backyard. It’s unusual to see only one Mourning Dove though. They usually have a mate with them and in the fall they can gather in large numbers as they migrate south.

Water from a birdbath is a good way attract birds, as well as running streams or ponds. You are also likely to get more birds if you have trees, and shrubs for cover. In my yard doves are very popular dinner choice for the hawks. Pine trees can provide shelter, nesting sites, and food.

Mourning doves are not picky eaters but to feed comfortably, their large size requires a large perching area. Ground feeders or tray feeders allow lots of birds to feed. They eat a variety of seeds, insects, and berries. Any bird seed blend with a lot of sunflower seeds would be a good choice.

After they feed, swallowing lots of seeds and storing them in an enlargement of the esophagus called the crop; they fly to a safe perch. They like to gather every evening on our power lines to coo and digest their meal.

I hope that helps, Sarah
Read more at: http://ning.it/9kXDYw

Thank you so much for the information and the link on Morning Doves...Now I know how to make my yard a little more Dove friendly and the difference between the male and female.

Blogger Template by BlogTusts Sticky Widget by Kang Is Published by GBT.

No comments:

Post a Comment